Green Dot MoneyPak scams is a scam using a Green Dot Moneypak card as a medium to cheat your money. The scam has been around since 2009 as a way to get unsuspecting victims to pay “finder’s fees” to secure nonexistent government grants. The important thing for the scammer is to get your card 14-digit serial number. Your money will be gone after that since they're using a prepaid card with a stolen identities.
What is Green Dot MoneyPak?
Green Dot MoneyPak is a service of Green Dot Corporation who issue a reloadable debit cards or ‘cash top-up card’ available in United States. A MoneyPak comes with a scratch-off 14-digit serial number. Once you purchase it at a participating retailer with cash, you can use it to reload prepaid cards, add money to a PayPal account without using a bank account, pay your phone, cable, or credit card bill or make same-day payments to major companies. They're typically for people who don't have, or want, bank accounts. To transfer funds to a prepaid debit card, holders call or visit the MoneyPak or Green Dot websites and reveal the number.
How the scam work?
1. The scammer will contact you via phone or email telling you few possible story:
-You won something (lottery etc), in order to get your winning item, you need to pay some fees to them.
-The scammer will call you that they're from a utility or credit card company, telling you that you need to pay an amount of money within an hour or they will shut off their utility or card service.
-They will called you and tell you that your loan is approved but in order to make sure you're financially strong person, you need to produce a 10 percent of the loan amount via green dot money pak. They said no money would be taken off the card that they were just going to look at it to see if the amount was correct and not to activate it until they said so.
2. They will asked you to give them the Moneypak serial number. After you give them the serial number on the Moneypak, the scammer can then transfer your MoneyPak money to their own prepaid debit cards.
How to Protect Yourself?
7 Tips by Green Dot MoneyPak on How to Protect Yourself from Green Dot MoneyPak scams:
1. Never give your MoneyPak number to someone you don’t know.
2. Never give receipt information about your MoneyPak purchase to another party.
3. Use your MoneyPak only to reload your prepaid cards or accounts you control.
4. Refuse any offer that asks you to buy a MoneyPak and share the number or receipt information by email or phone.
5. To use your MoneyPak with PayPal or eBay or other online merchants, transfer the money to your PayPal account before you pay the merchant. Don’t email your MoneyPak number directly to any merchant.
6. Don’t use the MoneyPak to pay taxes or fees to claim “winnings” on a foreign lottery or prize promotion. Unless it’s an approved MoneyPak partner, don’t use MoneyPak for any offer that requires you to pay before you get the item.
7. Check this list of approved MoneyPak partners before you use your MoneyPak to pay.